Tuesday, September 15, 2009

WHO IS NIGERIA'S QUEEN OF TV TALKSHOW?

When I saw this article somewhere on the net, I had this big grin on my face…one I could actually explain.

I had maybe out of sponteneity drew my conclusion on who that title is well befitted.
Let me give you folks a quick background…I cut out my professional career in the media at NTA. For three and a half years, while I worked with the NTA as a contract staff I worked on various programmes and one of such great opportunities was being in the production crew on the NTA platfform for the the Nigria’s biggest television talkshow; THE NEW DAWN with FUNMI.I was able to learn so much of the intricacies, the challenges and the joy’s of production. Most especially I saw the great amount of work that went tinto every edition of the show. Funmi was a perfectionist.

Even though I have not really had that great privilage of being on the production of MOMENTS with MO, I have had the opportunity of being a guest on the show some time this year to talk about Beauty Pageants in Nigeria. Wow…so much goes into the production of the show, its huge...

For Agartha, there is little I can say, having watched the show only on television on few occassions, even without being a part of the production, I still believe so much goes into its packaging, generally, television shows are just so daunting a task…Ok, I know, am talking too much right?

Lets hit it...

~ By Ayo Shonaiya




Believe it or not, I am an avid viewer of talkshows, especially in Nigeria where every other TV program is dedicated to music, music news, chart shows and the new favourite over the last 2 years, Red Carpet interviews at various events (Big up to Denrele of Soundcity on that level).

As I sit here watching Agatha Amata on her program Inside Out, with the topic of the show focussing on if GPRS tracking on your mobile phone actually works in Nigeria, and with a panel that include a mobile phone whizkid (to show the viewers how to navigate on a mobile phone), a local government town planning official (for the accuracy of the streets listed) and a Policeman (to see if this new technology can help fight crime, or which major road is best to set up shop for "Happy Sunday"), I start to think, we need more programs like these.

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) there are 3 top female TV talkshow hosts of note in Nigeria; Funmi Iyanda of New Dawn, Mo Abudu of Moments with Mo and the aforementioned Agatha Amata of Inside Out. These 3 ladies I have met before, and I have actually appeared as a guest on Funmi Iyanda's New Dawn some 4 years ago.
In the United States of America, the Nielsen Ratings has continually rated the Oprah Winfrey Show as the top TV talkshow for so long now you would think the likes of Rikki Lake, Sally Jesse Raphael and the new comers Tyra Banks, Ellen DeGeneres, Racheal Ray and Chelsea Lately don't exist.




Although the 3 Nigerian TV talkshow hosts mentioned above have their individual styles, and I'm sure also have their focus and aims for their respective shows, I can't help but wonder who the people think is the Queen of talkshows in Nigeria. What makes a talkshow worth watching, does it have to benefit the society educationally or otherwise, or just to entertain by interviewing celebs and talking about women's issues only. Does presenting style even matter? Agatha stands in the crowd while talking to guests on "stage", Mo sits with her guests most of the time (except for when she leans forward to do the double cheek kiss kiss darling thing as the guests come on), and Funmi, although sits with the guests most of the time has experimented with the studio crowd a few times.


While Agatha is very "Naija" in her approach (she even drops pidgin sometimes), Mo is very posh in her outlook, pronunciation of certain words and her set is to die for. With Funmi Iyanda, she's very matter-of-fact direct with her raspy (sexy) voice and seem to command a lot of respect from her guests and fans. I really can't say which talkshow host is the best because all 3 have different shows and purpose, but as we live in a world of charts, brand positioning and who's No.1, I'm really curious if one of these 3 women can be accorded that title of the Queen of talkshows in Nigeria.

Please note: I'm not trying to cause controversy here or cause anyone to be disrespected, I'm just testing my microphone.
***
So, there you have it...who's Nigeria's TV talkshow queen?
allvoices

Related Posts

No comments: