Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Halle Berry Says She’s “Not the Marrying Kind”, Blames Father




Halle Berry was pretty in pink this past weekend as she hit up the 2011 Jenesse Silver Rose Auction And Gala in Beverly Hills.  She attended the event with her boyfriend, french actor Olivier Martinez, who she met on the set of “Dark Tide”.  Although they’ve been getting pretty serious, Halle recently revealed that the traditional form of marriage is not for her, and she won’t be getting married again.
“I WISH I had known then that I was not the marrying kind. It would have saved me a lot of time, heartache and grief over the years.
I made all the wrong choices when it came to love. I have been an idiot. But, now, it is like a gift to myself – seeing more clearly and making better decisions. One thing was unavoidable. My father left us when I was young and that did affect my life. If I had a good father in my life, growing up, then I do not think I would have made the mistakes I made. I would not have been lost in love.
I would have had a good role model and known what to look for. As it is, I had to find out about marriage from the men I’ve married. I have done it twice and I am not going to do it again. The traditional form of marriage is not for me.

I can applaud Halle for at least trying out the “traditional form of marriage” before knocking it. It’s interesting to see the role that fathers (or lack thereof) have on women and their relationships as they get older.
Oprah Winfrey has also been vocal about her decision to have an “un-traditional” relationship with Stedman, her boyfriend of over 25 years.
“Had we made the official marriage commitment, we wouldn’t still be together. The reason the relationship works is that we get to define it on our terms. It would be very different if we were in a ‘traditional’ relationship where I was expected to be a wife and every now and then cook a meal!”
Interesting. I guess marriage isn’t for everybody..
allvoices

Related Posts

No comments: